Sunday, August 3, 2014

My View on Videogames

I have very little experience with videogames and MUVEs, unless Farmtown counts. I prefer books and people to screens and controllers. While I concede that there are some benefits to computer and videogames, I believe that they are unnecessary. Videogames lack in so many ways, they are completely limited by the programing. I believe that they don't encourage creativity, critical thinking skills, or social skills.

Virtual environments can connect users across the globe, but also have limitations. With the rise of texting, Facebook, Twitter and online communities the art of communication is being lost. Without voice tone, body language and social cues, electronic communication lacks connection and emotion. While some people and libraries believe that virtual environments are handy, and have presence in MUVEs, I do not believe that virtual environments are necessary for libraries. For communicating with librarians I believe that e-mail, and chat rooms go far enough, but if it isn't enough contact visitors can always visit their local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment