Saturday, August 2, 2014

The place of "Social" Media in our Libraries.

I joined Facebook in 2007. It was all the rage, everyone did everything on Facebook. Fast forward 10 years and I use my Facebook profile to log in to everything. I really liked Facebook, it was cool it was a way to keep in touch with friends that had spread all across the country; however these days it's all game postings, people I have very little in common with anymore, and my biggest pet peeve: factually incorrect chain letters/pictures. These days I use Facebook for one reason: to keep up with my two siblings that live far away and their children.

Twitter is still like. I love that I can follow authors, actors, athletes, t.v. shows, the British Royal Family. I can also follow my library, the zoo and local businesses. The biggest draw of twitter to me is that I choose who to follow, no one else can make that decision for me.

Facebook and Twitter both have a place in today's library. They represent cheap marketing strategies. It's easier to keep your patrons informed of library happenings, it makes it easier to attract interest. Twitter could easily be used to ask librarians reference questions. Facebook can be used to post in more detail about the library and library programing.

No comments:

Post a Comment